Working Waterfront

Learning to give as a family lesson

When I was young, my experience of giving was watching the circular bottom of a wicker basket as it passed above my forehead, hand to hand, down the aisle at church. A few years back I became interested in figuring out how to engage my children in discussing giving, based… SEE MORE
A cruise ship off Bar Harbor.

Working Waterfront

Bar Harbor ponders second cruise ship terminal

People in Bar Harbor are in the grip of a fundamental tension. The downtown and waterfront are swarmed by visitors arriving by land and cruise ship every year. Crowds spill into Acadia National Park, where visitation was up 17 percent year-to-date by the end of August, making for the third… SEE MORE
Lora Whelan

Working Waterfront

Telecommuting lets transplants be ‘Eastported’

Coleman Brice, an information technology consultant in New Jersey, visited a friend in Eastport a dozen or so years ago. “I was blown away by the intellectual climate, the creative arts culture, the working waterfront, and the beauty and natural ruggedness,” he remembers. Five years ago, Brice and his wife… SEE MORE
Pedalers on the foot-powered Maine Baycycle enjoy their beverages.

Working Waterfront

Going footloose on Casco Bay

PHOTO STORY BY KATIE JOHNSON There’s a new boat in town, and a new way to get out on the waters of Casco Bay. Maine Baycycle, run by captain and Peaks Island native Neil Kinner, provides a 90-minute pedal powered cruise of Portland’s waterfront that’s different from anything else out… SEE MORE