Sunny sky over Monhegan meadow.

Working Waterfront

Moments behind the scenes

Reflections is written by Island Fellows, recent college grads who do community service work on Maine islands and in coastal communities through the Island Institute, publisher of The Working Waterfront. By Dan DeBord When editor Tom Groening asked me to write this column, he suggested I might write about the photography… SEE MORE

Working Waterfront

Frenchboro deli gets caffeinated

Story by Jennifer Helman Photos by Dale Joyce Classically trained gourmet chef. Coffee connoisseur. World traveler.  Entrepreneur. These words could describe any number of people in Boston or even Portland, but you might be surprised to find one on the tiny island of Frenchboro. Like many people who move to a… SEE MORE
Eastport celebrates the Fourth of July.

Working Waterfront

Eastport is a town that gives

By Pierre Woog Eastport is a generous place. There is a constant buzz of acts of charity from fundraisers and appeals. Most contribute time or money through organizations and/or individually. Volunteering is a credo of this small city. We give to agencies devoted to do good works, be it the nursing home… SEE MORE

Working Waterfront

Talking to the tourists

By Tom Groening I was walking to the coffee shop in Rockland last summer, weaving my way through the sidewalk full of tourists, when I saw a short, bald man in his 70s staring across the street at the marquee on The Strand, a theater that shows films and hosts… SEE MORE
Kelly Corson has seen considerable success at The Travelin Lobster

Working Waterfront

Town Hill: MDI’s up-and-coming hub

By Laurie Schreiber Bar Harbor is a booming tourist town on Mount Desert Island, for the millions of people visiting Acadia National Park each year.  Other towns on the island get their share of visitors, too. But in recent years, the village of Town Hill has quietly gained ground as… SEE MORE

Working Waterfront

Island plans community read on difficult issue

By Courtney Naliboff Conversations about end-of-life decisions can be emotional, challenging, and are often avoided until a moment of crisis. But a group of health care providers on North Haven hopes to help families and loved ones begin those conversations earlier through a community read. Nurse practitioner and Southern Harbor… SEE MORE