Swan’s Island is located off the coast of Maine near Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Island. It is a remote island, with ferry service originating in Bass Harbor.
Swan’s Island has three villages: Atlantic, in Mackerel Cove on the north coast; Swan’s Island, on the shores of Burnt Coat Harbor in the south; and Minturn. The economy of the island is mostly dependent on lobstering income. Swan’s Island has about 40 full-time lobstermen and women and many part-timers, including school children who fish from small skiffs in the summer.
Swan’s Island, like Monhegan, has its own lobster zone, with a significantly lower trap limit than many other fishing areas. The lobster industry provides a majority of income earned by island families.
- Year-round population, 2010 U.S. Census: 380
- Summer population estimate: 1,000
- Area: 7,000 acres
- Mainland ferry terminal: Bass Harbor
- Estimated distance between Bass Harbor and island ferry dock: 6 miles
- Ferry service: Maine Department of Transportation
- School: Pre-K–5
- Form of town government: Independent town