Thank you to all who participated in the electric boat naming contest! We received over 250 entries and our jury was delighted to have so many creative ideas from which to choose. The winning name was announced on July 27, 2023 during Island Institute’s Electric Boat “Launch” Party. Please see below for a video of the boat in action, as well as photos from the event!
Submitted by Judy Long of Orrington, Maine
Island Institute is dedicated to creating a climate-forward marine economy. To do so, we are collaborating with partners across the state to transition our working coast away from fossil fuels. One element of this work is the electrification of commercial boats. Electric motors help us move closer to achieving our state’s climate goals, reduce noise and water pollution, and allow business owners to avoid the price fluctuations of traditional gas and diesel. It’s a win-win for our oceans and the communities that depend on this important resource.
That’s why we’re partnering with Pendleton Yacht Yard, Flux Marine, and Maine Electric Boat to get a demonstration boat on the water! This electric boat will help fishermen, aquaculturists, and others experience what is possible. It’s also an opportunity to gather feedback and collect data on the technology that will work best for user needs.
Thank you to all you participated in the contest!
- The winner will receive an Island Institute microfleece jacket in the size of their choice and an Island Institute tote bag.
- If the winner is local to Rockland, Maine or willing to travel, the winner will be added to the guest list of the Electric Boat “Launch” Party on July 27, 2023 in Rockland, Maine.
- If the winner is local to Islesboro, Maine or willing to travel, the winner will receive an invitation to take a trial ride aboard the new electric boat at Pendleton Yacht Yard in Islesboro, Maine. Date of trial ride to be mutually agreed on by winner and Pendleton Yacht Yard.
- The contest will be open for submissions until July 20, 2023.
- The winner will be picked by a jury of Island Institute staff and partners and will be notified ahead of the Electric Boat “Launch” Party on July 27, 2023 in Rockland, Maine.
- By submitting an entry to Island Institute/Name that Electric Boat Contest, you are unconditionally assigning and transferring all rights, titles, ideas, concepts, copyrighted materials, and trademarks contained in the entry submitted in the contest to Island Institute.