In an effort to help Maine’s small businesses during this time, we have created this page to serve as a place for island and coastal small business owners, artists and makers, and nonprofits to access tools and resources to help them address current challenges and impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Business Resilience Grants—In our work with small businesses, we see a particular need for helping businesses adapt in the wake of COVID-19 and after. Through the Tom Glenn Community Impact Fund, we’re offering grants of up to $1,500 to support island and coastal small businesses during this time. Learn more and apply here.
- Commercial Currents podcast series, “Business in Uncertain Times: Conservations with Maine’s Island and Coastal Small Businesses”. Listen to all the episodes here.
- Visit our On Demand Recordings page to view recorded webinars, podcasts, and video footage from past events to learn practical skills, listen to inspiring stories, and stay digitally connected and informed.
General Small Business Resources
Maine-based small business resources
- Maine Department of Economic and Community Development—Protecting your business and ensuring your employees are safe
- Maine Small Business Development Centers (SBDC)—Coronavirus and Your Business
- CEI—COVID-19 Resources For Businesses
- Finance Authority of Maine (FAME)—COVID-19 Relief Loan Programs
- Maine State Chamber of Commerce—Taking Care of Business during the COVID-19 crisis in Maine
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- Guide to the CARES Act—Includes links and information from the SBA and Department of Treasury
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- Nonprofits and CARES
- Loan Comparison Chart
- Maine Association of Nonprofits—Information on COVID-19 for Maine Nonprofits
- CDC Foundation—COVID-19 Guidelines For Nonprofits—The Nonprofit Times
Disaster assistance and SBA resources
Maine Department of Labor
- Who Qualifies for Unemployment
- Filing for Unemployment Online—Click here for details
- Self-Employed Unemployment Benefits Related to COVID-19
- Resources for Workers and Businesses on COVID-19
Recorded webinars and trainings
- Small Business Marketing in a Time of Crisis
- Maine SBDC: Survival Skills: Navigating Cash Flow During Crisis
- Maine SBDC: Survival Skills: Marketing Through Crisis
- Mainebiz: Paycheck Protection Program: How to qualify for loan forgiveness
- Mainebiz: The EIDL Program and Other Grants, Loans, and Credits
- Council of Nonprofits: Federal Coronavirus Relief Bills: What Do They Mean for Nonprofits?
Resources for Maine Artists and Arts-based Businesses
- National Endowment for the Arts—COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations
- Maine Crafts Association—COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Small Businesses
- Freelance Artist National Resource List
- CERF+ — COVID-19 Response Fund
- Retail Association of Maine—COVID-19 Resource Page for Retailers
- Maine Made—Member Resource Page
- Maine Arts Commission—COVID-19 Artists Resources Page
- ArtsEngageME—Maine Artist Relief Fund (open 4/1/20-6/30/20); $500 to artists being adversely affected by COVID-19
- Center for Maine Contemporary Art—National emergency relief funds for artists
- The Lens—COVID-19 (Coronavirus) resources, grants, funds, and more to help working photographers
- Resources for the Creative Spirit During Challenging Times | Mary Gilkerson—PDF guide, Podcast resources, Art Movies & Series, Art Books
Information for Fishermen and Farmers
To see a detailed list of resources for the aquaculture and fishing communities, visit our Aquaculture and Fishing Resource page here.
- Maine Department of Marine Resources—Resources for Industry and Individuals Regarding COVID-19
- Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry—COVID-19 Information for Agriculture and Food Businesses
- USDA—Business and Industry CARES Act Program
- USDA—Farm Loan Programs
- Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets—COVID-19 and Farmers’ Markets
- MOFGA—COVID-19 Information and Support for Maine Farmers
- UMaine Cooperative Extension—Daily Maine Farmer ZOOM Meeting
- UMaine Cooperative Extension
How to Support Local Small Businesses
- #WeAreMaineStrong—a movement to support local businesses today so they can keep their doors open tomorrow
- CEI—Support Local Businesses Directory
- Pay It Forward Maine—how to support local businesses and communities through collective action
- Down East—Maine Business Support Directory; form to register your business here.