The Island Institute supports students in academic and professional-development pursuits. We firmly believe that these students contribute to the viability and vitality of life in year-round island and working waterfront communities.
Since 1990, the Island Institute has made over 870 scholarship awards totaling more than $1.6 million. In 2015, we granted over $150,000 to 68 island students, offering financial assistance to all qualifying island residents and enabling recipients to pursue academic and life-enriching endeavors at colleges and universities across North America. We also offer a middle and high school semester and summer program scholarship that enables students to have unique experiences that both prepare them for college and life beyond.
The Geiger Scholarship supports students who wish to broaden their educational horizons through enrichment and travel experiences. Scholarships will be awarded to:
- Middle School students attending summer camps, travel, or enrichment programs
- High School students participating in semester enrichment programs or attending a summer camp, travel, or enrichment program
- College Students participating in a semester or summer study abroad program
- Students enrolled in a gap year program between high school and post-secondary education
The Geiger Scholarship is intended to serve students from one of the Casco Bay, Down East, or Penobscot Bay un-bridged islands who may not otherwise have these experiences. It provides students who are eager to expand their educational horizons with a scholarship that can be paid directly towards tuition costs or program fees.
For more information, see Geiger Scholarship Information.
To request an application, contact Caroline Moore, Community Development Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maine Island Scholarship
This scholarship is available to year-round residents of Maine's 15 unbridged island communities attending post-secondary institutions. Scholarships range from $250 to $5,000 annually. There is no limit on the number of scholarships that will be given. Available to first-time and renewal applicants.
Available to Island students who will be attending a two- or four-year college, university, or vocational/technical institution, including non-traditional students, who also meet the following residency requirements are eligible for the scholarship:
Chebeague, Cliff, Great Cranberry, Great Diamond, Frenchboro, Isle Au Haut, Islesford, Long, Matinicus, Monhegan, Peaks, and Swan’s: Applicants must have been a resident of the island for at least three years prior to graduating from high school.
Islesboro, North Haven, Vinalhaven: Applicants must have graduated from their island’s high school and have been a resident of the island for at least three years prior to graduating from their high school.
Check back for information about the 2017 Scholarship Season in early fall of 2016.
Special Scholarships Available Through The Maine Island Scholarship
Louis W. Cabot Academic and Community Leadership Scholarship
- This $10,000 scholarship awards $2,500 to a graduating high-school senior (year-round un-bridged island resident) who exemplifies a combination of academic excellence and leadership. Each recipient will be considered for a renewal Cabot Scholarship in the amount of $2,500 for each of three succeeding academic years, based on demonstrated academic success in the previous year. The winner of the scholarship will be a high school graduate who exemplifies academic excellence; and who is recognized by his or her peers, teachers and community as exemplifying the true spirit of leadership in service to others. This scholarship also requires a second essay. Available to one graduating high-school senior only.
S. Parkman Shaw Scholarship:
- This $10,000 scholarship will be given to a junior or senior in college (year-round un-bridged island resident). If you receive this scholarship and are going into your junior year, the scholarship will be split into a $5,000 payment in your junior with the option for renewal for senior year based on demonstrated success in the previous year. The winner of this scholarship will be an upperclassman who demonstrates not only successful academic growth and achievement over his or her college career, but also the capacity to overcome unique challenges and/or difficult circumstances. This prestigious scholarship also requires a second essay. Available to current college sophomore and junior applicants only.
- This $10,000 scholarship awards $2,500 to a graduating high-school senior (year-round un-bridged island resident) who exemplifies a combination of academic excellence and leadership. The recipient will be considered for a renewal Sweet Scholarship in the amount of $2,500 for each of three succeeding academic years, based on demonstrated academic success in the previous year. Available to graduating high-school seniors only.
Seth Jordan Memorial Fund Scholarship:
- A one time award of $2,500 will be given to the top ranked graduating high school senior residing in Casco Bay. Available to graduating high-school senior applicants only.
Island Internship Program
Thank you all for your interest in our self-designed summer internship program. At this point, we have filled all of our slots for the Summer 2016 Island Internship Program. However, Island Scholars interested in pursuing their own summer internships are still welcome to contact Caroline Moore with questions about the process or suggestions for potential host site organizations.