2018 Island Teachers Conference
Dates & Location:
Thursday, October 4 – Friday, October 5, 2018
University of Maine Hutchinson Center | Belfast, Maine
Hosted by the Island Institute since 1987, the Island Teachers Conference is an annual networking and professional development opportunity for island and coastal educators who share both the challenges and advantages of teaching in small, rural and geographically isolated communities. The conference provides a welcome respite from the professional isolation that many island educators experience. At the conference, participants and presenters have the opportunity to network, create and strengthen collaborations, and take part in high quality professional development specifically designed for the unique needs of island schools.
Three categories of professional development are offered at the conference:
- Content specific, in-depth trainings (on Thursday)
- School-to-school and school-to-community collaborations
- Workshops and presentations (including offerings for administrators and school board members)
About the Conference
The 2018 Island Teachers Conference will take place Thursday, October 4th and Friday, October 5th at the University of Maine Hutchinson Center in Belfast, Maine.
The theme of this year’s conference is Moving Forward Together.
Educators from the coast of Maine and beyond are invited to attend and exhibit at the conference and to lead workshops and presentations on a wide-range of topics, including: place and project-based learning through collaboration, creative expression, social issues, STEM education, and much more!
Thursday, October 4, 2018
- 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.: Dinner and a Movie - Resilience: The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope
Friday, October 5, 2018
- 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Sign In, Workshop Sign-Ups, Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.: Welcoming Remarks, Keynote, Lightning Talks
- 8:50 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.: Keynote: Kate Leveille of MaineSpark
- 9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.: Five Lightning Talks (5 slides, 5 minutes)
- 10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.: Break
- 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Workshop Session 1*
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: Workshop Session 2*
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Lunch
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Workshop Session 3*
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.: Final Closing, Evaluation, CEU Paperwork
* Click here for a preliminary list of workshop sessions and presenters.
The 2018 keynote speaker is Kate Leveille of MaineSpark, who will speak about the work of MaineSpark, emphasizing the Strong Foundations (for children birth–6th grade) and Future Success (for students from 6th grade through post-secondary education) tracks.
Registration open through September 26th!
- Thursday evening program/dinner only—$35
- Friday conference/breakfast & lunch only—$85
- Thursday evening and Friday conference combo—$120
All conference participants, including presenters, exhibitors, and Island Institute staff will need to register.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions or would like more information about the conference! For more information, please email Yvonne Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.