The 2019 Artists & Makers Conference will take place Thursday, April 4th from 2:00-6:30 p.m. AND Friday, April 5th from 8:15 a.m.-5:00 p.m at Point Lookout in Northport, Maine.
Join us for a full slate of information, networking, and presentations tailored to the needs of Maine's arts-based businesses. This year, the conference will begin Thursday afternoon and continue all day Friday.
The event attracts artists and makers from across the state and offers three themed tracks – Foundational, Transformational, and Inspirational – that highlight information for those just starting a business, those looking to take their business to the next level, and those interested in tips for maintaining fulfillment, passion, and inspiration in their business.
Other highlights will include a Pecha Kucha-style event to inspire creativity and the opportunity to network with professionals and peers. In addition, portfolio and product reviews return again this year on Thursday afternoon, April 4th from 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Available on a first come, first serve basis—limited slots available!
Americans Who Tell the Truth: An Evening with Robert Shetterly
Thursday Evening, 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Robert Shetterly's "Americans Who Tell The Truth" portraits and narratives highlight citizens who courageously address issues of social, environmental, and economic fairness. By combining art and other media, it offers resources to inspire a new generation of engaged Americans who will act for the common good, our communities, and the Earth. During this special event, Shetterly will present from his body of work and share his process for how he chooses who to portray. Appetizers will be provided.
Friday keynote: Suhail Bisharat
Keynote Speaker Suhail Bisharat will describe the challenging task of building and housing a collection of contemporary art from across the Arab and Islamic world, the role of national leadership, artists, and the private sector as they came together to create the Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts in Amman. Inaugurated in 1980 by the late King Hussein and Her Majesty Queen Noor, the permanent collection includes the work of more than 800 artists from 59 countries.
- Rich Brooks, Flyte New Media
- Whitney Burdsall, New England Made
- Carrie Cleveland, CERF+
- Kenny Cole, Visual artist
- Karen D’Silva, Karen D'Silva Creative Services
- Claire Donnelly, Island Institute and Fox Island Printworks
- Michele Gilfoil, Planet Botanicals
- Gabrielle Melchionda, Mad Gab’s
- Barbara Michelena, CRAFT Gallery
- Colin Page, Colin Page Paintings
- George Pearlman, George Pearlman Pottery
- Addie Peet, Addie Peet Design
- Laura Pierce, Iris Designs
- Julia Powell, Fine artist
- Brian Reid, Brian Reid Furniture
- Josh Rogers, Heritage Seaweed
- Jesse Salisbury, Contemporary sculptor
- Laura Serino, Island Apothecary and Bella Luna Toys
- Robert Shetterly, Painter and author
- Alex Steed, Knack Factory
- Bobbie Wentworth, J. Edward Knight Insurance
Pecha Kucha presenters
- Kim Bernard
- Abe Goodale
- Jake Ryan
- Jesse Salisbury
- Anneli Skaar and Mark Kelly
- Laurie Sproul
- Branding Best Practices
- Instagram Successes and Failures
- Insurance Planning for Artists and Makers
- The Impact and Importance of Email Marketing
- Pathways for Fine Art and Craft
- Using Etsy vs. Building Your Own Site—Web Platforms for Selling
- Growing in Collaboration
- Small Business Funding Opportunities
- Business Model Canvas Workshop
- Wholesale vs Retail – What’s the Best Strategy for Your Business?
- What is an Artists’ Obligation to Society?
Agenda and Schedule
Please check back for updates as we get closer to the event!
- General registration closes March 29, 2019—Register today!—Cost is $25 for Thursday only, $35 for Friday only, or $45 for both days.
- The conference is open to all artists and makers who live and produce work in Maine.
- Hors d'oeuvres will be provided Thursday evening, and Friday will include a continental breakfast, lunch, fruit, and beverages.
Lodging will be available at Point Lookout for reduced prices for Artists & Makers attendees. A one-bedroom king cabin for $99/night, a 2 bedroom/2 bath cabin for $149/night, and a 3 bedroom/2 bath cabin for $179/night. Please call Point Lookout at (207) 789-2000 for reservations.